Otherwise known as MORE secret PJs!
Funny... last week's garment was linen, blue, Ikat print, and not recent. This week's garment is linen, blue, Ikat print, and also not recent. (I swear, I'm still sewing. New things will be coming soon!) I finished this one last September, right before a trip home and failed to get any photos of it. And then the weather started to turn and I packed it away... blah blah. Anyway, here we are. It's unpacked and back in rotation, and, obviously, I couldn't not wear it for the 4th of July! Subtle red, white, and blue attire for the win ;)
This Southport is actually the second of three made last year. You may recall my gushing over the pattern when I posted my first one in October. Obviously, I was still thrilled when making this linen version. I almost never repeat patterns and I started this one immediately after the chambray version. Based on how that one wore though, I did make a few more changes:
- I tapered to size 2 below bust on bodice and waistband (from size 4)
- Reduced the waistband and skirt by 1 size, so graded to a size 8 in the front and a size 10 in the back (at hips)
- I also should have added an additional 1/2" length to the bodice (for a total of 1" added), but I was in such a hurry I completely forgot on this one.
- I also should have taken out a little at cb waist for a sway back adjustment.
- This is roughly the pattern's drafted length. I normally add 3" to dress hems, but I think this one is a suitable length, even on someone with longer legs.
One thing to note, if you're concerned about how flattering the drawn waistband will be, you might stick to thinner or softer fabrics. I'm sure the fit difference is not noticeable in pictures, but because this linen has a fair amount of body, it doesn't cinch quite as well as the light chambray. On the other hand, that extra body means nice air flow, so it's great for the hottest of days here. It's really just a matter of preference. It's a pretty flexible pattern :)
Sunglasses: RayBan / Dress: Handmade / Necklace: Handmade / Flag: Target / Sandals: DV by Dolce Vita (old)
Photo location: Barrington Hall, Roswell GA
Happy Sewing! x