4.27.2011

No-Bake Oatmeal Fudge Cookies

There a few "Southern" foods I love but these cookies are at the top of the list. I was first introduced to these about 9 years ago, sometime after my (now) fiance and I began dating. His Dad is a master at these and they quickly became a favorite of mine.

It wasn't until recently that I considered making them myself. Now that we live so far from home, I could either wait until holidays or try my own hand. Craving them one day, I decided on the latter. I Googled for a recipe and came across several. The one I chose was from the Southern Food section on About.com. It had perfect reviews so I assumed it couldn't go wrong.


Well, it did. The cookies tasted great but not one of them set! I followed the instructions to a T so I didn't understand. Perhaps it was the pot I was using but clearly, boiling the ingredients for only a minute just wasn't enough. So, when Easter rolled around and there was no chocolate in the house, I decided to give it another go. This time, I pulled out my candy thermometer. I proceeded as before but, I didn't time the boil. Instead, I waited until the thermometer read 230F. This allowed for a long enough boil but kept it in the soft ball/fudge range. Luckily, this little trick worked! The cookies all made it onto the wax paper but then set rather quickly. They tasted wonderful! Just like I remembered!

They're so quick and easy - these would be great to prepare for last-minute company. And, since they're no-bake, they're perfect for a summer sweet tooth. I warn you though, they can be a bit addictive!

Happy No-Baking! x

Ingredients:

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons cocoa
4 ounces butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats

Preparation:

Combine sugar, milk, cocoa, and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil in "soft ball" range (116F -240F) for at least 1 minute. Temperature should reach about 230F. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and chopped nuts. Add oatmeal and stir to blend thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Makes about 4 dozen no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies.

Adapted from About.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x