5.12.2013

Me-Made May: Days 1 - 11

My Me-Made May is off to a slow start but, I'm attempting to keep my efforts honest so I can see just how well my self-made wardrobe actually fits into my daily life (ie. no poofy sundresses just to clean the house).

I definitely made the right call keeping my pledge to 4 garments a week.  I just haven't made enough items to do more.  Especially not practical ones...  Here are my thoughts so far:

Day 1 - Nothing
Day 2 - Nada
Day 3 - Simplicity 3571 (unblogged) ... me-made pj bottoms.  Though I hardly count these as actually MMM wears, I do like the reminder that these are some of my favorite pj bottoms and they've actually limited the number of RTW bottoms I've since purchased (That number is 2 btw).  Also, they're some of my oldest me-made items so, it makes me quite happy that they're still hanging in there.
Day 4 - Another Simplicity 3571 (unblogged) Ditto

Day 5 - Zip

Me-Made May Day 6

Day 6 - Raspberry Renfrew - If you caught the post last week, you saw this was a bit of panic necessity sewing.  May decided to throw cooler weather at me and remind me I have a bad habit of sewing sundresses... not so 50F appropriate.  The long-sleeve/cowl-neck combo was perfect for this weather but, looking at the photos, I see the jersey was definitely the wrong choice for the pattern.  The shirt will get worn again (and again) but, it will most likely be an indoors-only top.
Day 7 - None
Day 8 - None

Simplicity 2246Simplicity 2339

Day 9 - Blue Herringbone ShirtdressContrary to Monday, our southern spring is back in full swing.  I needed to be dressed cool and comfortably for a day of chores and errands.  This shirt dress has certainly remained a go-to in my wardrobe.  On occasion, I feel it looks frumpy on the hanger but, I never fail to get compliments on it polish when I opt to wear it out (I always wear a belt).  I'd like to experiment more with accessories to liven it up a bit though.  I really like the tan woven belt with it but, I generally wear tan shoes too and that, in my mind, makes it a bit too traditional.  Classic but, not very youthful.
Day 10 - Blue/White Seersucker Gingham Shirt (unblogged) - Normally, I'd say it's a bit early to break out the seersucker but, we've been doing a fair bit of work on the house so, I wanted to stay cool.  Unfortunately, now that I know more about fit, I realize this shirt doesn't.  We over-fitted the shirt all around and did not compensate for mobility.  If I were to make this pattern again, I'd need to add pleats to the shoulders so I can comfortably move my arms and let out the bust area to prevent the ever-dreaded gaposis.  By the way, Friday's theme was sewing or your creative space so, I shared a little peak into my new sewing room and at an upcoming project :)


McCall 4440

Day 11 - Blue Seashell Sundress - I'm still pretty pleased with this dress and I'm sure it will continue to get regular wear.  It's comfortable, I can wear a standard bra and it's fairly easy to accessorize (the busy print has me convinced minimal accessories are best).  I love the nautical print but, we stopped in Brooks Brothers yesterday (where I did a bit of snoop-shopping for an upcoming project) and I was keenly aware that I was wearing quilting cotton.  I'm sure no one else would have guessed but, I think I'll avoid quilting fabrics for any future dresses.

That's one full week down, three to go!  Is anyone else off to a slow start?

Happy sewing! x

2 comments:

  1. Oh, these outfits are just so gorgeous! I especially love your raspberry renfrew, such a beautiful colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not use Organic extra-virgin olive oil along with linseed important oil.
    A lot of have a toaster if you want to toasted bread bakery.
    Freak made it simpler for stove tops do not have preheating By Because of the freakout factors hot air
    into the cooking area a fan helped cooktop decide either to typically basically no, or it may be virtually no, power to pre-heat.
    Proceed every formulation accessible to cook. Can you picture strongly employ
    this user-friendly system together with your property or it
    may be should you take our own underperforming , foods and nutrients
    structured in a stove just to in avoiding the chances of impairment?


    my web blog ... toasters slc

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x